The parish of Small Isles comprises five islands (along with many smaller islets) in the Inner Hebrides. The isles of Canna, Sanday, Rum, Muck and Eigg are located south of the Isle of Skye in the body of water known as the Sea of the Hebrides.
The Small Isles were transferred from Argyll to Inverness-shire in 1890 as part of the changes in the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889. They remained in Inverness-shire until the county was abolished in 1975 when they were transferred to the Highland Region. In the 1996 reorganization they became part of the Highland Council Area.
For an early description of the parish, see the description from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) as transcribed and copyrighted by Colin Hinson and provided on the web by GENUKI.