Sledmere is a village in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England, about 7 miles (11 km) north-west of Driffield on the B1253 road. Together with the hamlet of Croome it forms the civil parish of Sledmere and Croome. Sledmere was served by Sledmere and Fimber railway station on the Malton and Driffield Railway between 1853 and 1950.
Local points of interest include Sledmere House, a Georgian country house. Built in 1751 by Richard Sykes, the house has remained in the Sykes family since then. It is now the home of Sir Tatton Sykes, 8th baronet.
Sledmere was originally an ancient parish in Buckrose Wapentake in the East Riding of Yorkshire. In 1866 the status of civil parish was introduced and this was taken on by most ancient parishes and also by their subsidiary townships if they were of any size at all. In 1866 Sledmere, which had no townships, became a civil parish. In 1894 it became part of the Driffield Rural District of the East Riding.
Looking at the Ordnance Survey map of 1900 noted below, Croom or Croome is only marked as a house north of Sledmere House. It did not develop into a community sizeable to be called a township.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.