Skidby is a small village and civil parish in the Yorkshire Wolds within the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 6 miles (9.7 km) north-west of Hull city centre and 5 miles (8 km) south of Beverley.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Skidby. The sections "Geography" and "History" are quite extensive.
In the 19th century the parish of Skidby was known as Skidby-with-Skidby-Carr. The section known as Skidby Carr was amalgamated with Cottingham parish in 1879. The remainder of Skidby civil parish became part of Beverley Rural District in 1894 and remained in the district until its abolition in 1974. In 1935 it was enlarged by absorbing part of Swanland parish and the whole of Willerby Village, (formerly in Cottingham parish). Skidby was an ecclesiastical parish in the wapentake of Harthill.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.