Skidbrooke, also called Skidbrooke cum Saltfleet, is a hamlet in the East Lindsey District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated 10 miles (16 km) north from the town of Alford and 7 miles (11 km) east from Louth. With the hamlet of Saltfleet Haven it forms the civil parish of Skidbrooke with Saltfleet Haven.
Skidbrooke is mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book as "Schitebroc", and recorded as being in the Hundred of Louthesk in the South Riding of Lindsey, and as having 33 households, 3 villagers, 24 freemen and a meadow of 60 acres (0 km2). In 1066 Queen Edith was Lord of the Manor, which in 1086 was transferred to William I.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Skidbrooke.
The village is part of the civil parish of "Skidbrooke with Saltfleet Haven", which had a population of 523 at the 2001 UK census, increasing to 543 at the 2011 UK census.
A Vision of Britain through Time does not give any date for the inclusion of Saltfleet Haven in Skidbrooke parish, so it must be assumed it occurred centuries ago. A Vision of Britain through Time also uses "Saltfleetby" rather than "Saltfleet".
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.