Place:Sisters, Deschutes, Oregon, United States

Watchers


NameSisters
TypeCity
Coordinates44.291°N 121.549°W
Located inDeschutes, Oregon, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Sisters is a city in Deschutes County, Oregon, United States. It is part of the Bend, Oregon Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 959 at the 2000 census, but more than doubled to 2038 as of the 2010 census.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Camp Polk was established as a military post in 1865 in response to the Paiute Indian wars that were raging throughout eastern Oregon during the 1860s and 70s. Named after the Oregon county from which the camp’s commanding officer hailed, it consisted of a group of cabins along the west bank of Squaw Creek, now called Whychus Creek, about northeast of Sisters. The troops spent the winter of 1865–66 there. After discovering that there was no Indian problem they left. Around 1870, the area was homesteaded by Samuel Hindeman who also ran the post office. The post office at Camp Polk was moved to the present site of Sisters in 1888, and the name was changed to Sisters after the Three Sisters mountains that dominate its western skyline.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Sisters, Oregon. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.