It is located around 4 miles (6.4 km) southeast of Reading and around 2 miles (3.2 km) west of the town of Wokingham, and just south of the village of Winnersh, from which it is separated by the M4 motorway. The River Loddon flows just to the west.
A chapel is believed to have been built as early as 1220. A large 19th century, three-storey watermill on the Loddon has more recently become a hotel. Nearby is the estate of Bearwood House, built in 1864 by John Walter, the then proprietor of The Times newspaper, now Bearwood College, a private secondary school.
Facilities in the village include two golf courses (Bearwood and Bearwood Lakes) and the Nirvana Spa health club.