|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||North Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Pickhill, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Allerton Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was located|
|Thirsk Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1974|
|Hambleton District, North Yorkshire, England||administrative district covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Sinderby is a village and civil parish which, since 1974, has been located in the Hambleton District of North Yorkshire, England. Sinderby is located 223 miles (358.8 km) north of London and 48 miles (77.2 km) south of Durham, just east of the A1(M) motorway offering road links to larger cities such as Leeds, London and the Channel Ports. It had a population of 142 people according to the 2001 UK census, reducing to 137 at the 2011 UK census.
The parish had a small Wesleyan chapel that was built in 1835, and in a field called chapel field, adjoining the village of Sinderby, there have been signs and indications of there being a chapel in 1848. Old parishes tended to form at a time when there were little difference between the church and the state according to the local people. Sinderby was a township up until 1866 when it became a civil parish, much like many townships that around the same time either became included into other civil parishes, or created their own.
Sinderby was part of the Pickhill with Roxby parish in 1890, along with other townships including Ainderby Quernhow, Holme on Swale, Howe and Swainby with Allerthorpe. It comprises 542 acres of land which was chiefly owned by Mr. William Dunning, Mrs. M. Hammond and Miss. M. Kendrew. Kendrew who purchased the manorial rights and 50 acres of land from her cousin, Mr. William Wilson in 1882 for £3,000.
Sinderby railway station was opened on 2 June 1852 initially having one low platform, and in 1901 a second platform was added. Upon its opening the station had two employees who were Henry Bell who was the stationmaster, and Jas Elliot who worked as a porter. On 1 January 1962 the station was closed to passengers, and little under two years later on 11 November 1963 the station was closed completely. This map in A Vision of Britain through Time shows the location of the Sinderby railway station in relation to the village.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Sinderby.
Sinderby was originally part of the Allerton Wapentake of the North Riding of Yorkshire. In 1894 it became part of the Thirsk Rural District. Since 1974 it has been in North Yorkshire, specifically within the Hambleton District.
- This is by far the most complete history of the parishes of the county to be found online. The chapters are ordered by the divisions of the county called wapentakes, but each chapter is linked to the volume's content page.
- GENUKI has a page on all three ridings of Yorkshire and pages for each of the ecclesiastical parishes in the county. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each.
- These are based on a gazetteer dated 1835 and there may have been a number of alterations to the parish setup since then. However, it is worthwhile information for the pre civil registration era. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and the submitter is very firm about his copyright. This should not stop anyone from reading the material.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851 which gives the registration district and wapentake for each parish, together with statistics from the 1851 census for the area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Yorkshire North Riding, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72.
- Map of the North Riding divisions in 1888 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- Map of North Riding divisions in 1944 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- The above two maps indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.
- Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.
Categories: North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Sinderby, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Pickhill, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Allerton Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Thirsk Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Hambleton District, North Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England