- source: Family History Library Catalog
Simonburn was an ancient parish to the northwest of the town of Hexham in the Tynedale Ward of Northumberland. It became a civil parish in the 19th century. From 1894 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Simonburn became part of the Tynedale District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
Wikipedia describes its relationship to Hadrian's Wall.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Simonburn from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "SIMONBURN, a township and a parish in Hexham [registration] district, Northumberland. The township lies 3½ miles S of Wark [railway] station, and 8 NNW of Hexham; and contains a village of its own name. Population: 494. Houses: 99. The parish includes Haughton and Humshaugh townships, and comprises 13,372 acres. Post town: Hexham. Real property: £8,958. Population: 1,042. Houses: 205. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. Haughton Cast1e is the seat of G. Crawshay, Esq.; Nunwick Hall, of J. H. Allgood, Esq.; Park End, of J. Ridley, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value: £426. Patron: Greenwich Hospital. The church's chancel was rebuilt in 1862. The [perpetual] curacy of Humshaugh is a separate benefice."
Townships in Parish
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.