- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Shustoke is a village in the North Warwickshire District of the county of Warwickshire in England. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 UK census was 549.
Sir William Dugdale (Sir William I), born in the building now known as 'The Old Rectory' in Shawbury Lane on 12 September 1605, is widely regarded as the county's first and greatest antiquarian. He built and lived in Blyth Hall and was a strong royalist supporter of King Charles I during the Civil War, being appointed as his 'Garter Principal King of Arms'. On 10 May 1660 at Coleshill he read out the proclamation announcing that Charles' son Charles II was now the King of England. Dugdale's descendants later bought land near Atherstone (the site of the former Merevale Abbey) where they built Merevale Hall. Many of the artefacts of Sir William Dugdale can be seen here, including his ceremonial tabard as Garter Principal King of Arms.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Shustoke from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "SHUSTOKE, a parish, with a village and two hamlets, in Meriden [registration] district, Warwick; 2 miles ESE of Whitacre-Junction [railway] station, and 3 ENE of Coleshill. It has a post-office under Birmingham. Acres: 3,844. Real property: £4,133 Population: 558. Houses: 119. [Shustoke] Hall is the seat of E. Tongue, Esq. Blythe Hall was the seat of the antiquary Dugdale, and belongs now to Capt. J. D. W. Digby. The living is a vicarage, with Bentley chapelry, in the diocese of Worcester. Value: £258. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The parochial church is early English, and has a tower and spire. Bentley church was built in 1844. There are an endowed school and alms houses with £49 a year, and other charities £5."
Shustoke was originally an ancient parish in the Hemlingford Hundred of Warwickshire, England. It contained the township of Bentley
It was made a civil parish in 1866 and in 1894 it became part of the Meriden Rural District. Since 1974 it has been part of the non-metropolitan North Warwickshire District.
- The website British History Online provides seven volumes of the Victoria County History Series on Warwickshire. The first (Vol 2) covers the religious houses of the county; Volumes 3 through 6 provide articles the settlements in each of the hundreds in turn, and Volumes 7 and 8 deal with Birmingham and Coventry respectively.
- GENUKI main page for Warwickshire provides information on various topics covering the whole of the county, and also a link to a list of parishes. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. This is a list of pre-1834 ancient or ecclesiastical parishes but there are suggestions as to how to find parishes set up since then. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and therefore the reader should check additional sources if possible.
- Warwickshire and West Midland family history societies are listed in GENUKI.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date and from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851. There is a list of all the parishes in existence at that date with maps indicating their boundaries. The website is very useful for finding the ecclesiastical individual parishes within large cities and towns.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Warwickshire, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72 which often provides brief notes on the economic basis of the settlement and significant occurences through its history.
- The two maps below indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.