Place:Shotley Low Quarter, Northumberland, England

NameShotley Low Quarter
Alt namesKiln Pit Hillsource: settlement in parish
Snods Edgesource: settlement in parish
Shotleysource: main village in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates54.869°N 1.901°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoBywell St. Andrew, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Hexham Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Newlands, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into it in 1955
Whittonstall, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into it in 1955
Tynedale District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Shotley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"SHOTLEY, a village, two townships, and a parish, in Hexham district, Northumberland. The village stands 6 miles SSE of Riding-Mill [railway] station, and 9 SE of Hexham; and is in [Shotley Low Quarter] township. That township comprises 6,676 acres. Population: 637. Houses: 124.
"The other township is [Shotley High Quarter], or Blanchland; is noticed in the article Blanchland; and has a post-office, of the name of Blanchland, formerly under Carlisle, now under Riding-Mill, Northumberland.
"The parish contains also the township of Newbiggin, and comprises 12,460 acres. Real property: £2,516; of which £25 are in mines. Population: 1,180. Houses: 229. The manor belongs to H.Silvertop and T. Wilson, Esqs. Much of the land is moor and mountain. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £139. Patrons: the Trustees of Bishop Lord Crewe. The church was built in 1834. The [perpetual] curacy of Blanchland is a separate benefice. There are a Baptist chapel, built in 1856, and an endowed school with £14 a year."

Shotley Low Quarter was originally a township in the ancient parish of Bywell St. Andrew. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1955 it absorbed the civil parishes of Newlands and Whittonstall. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Shotley Low Quarter became part of the Tynedale District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority. Since 1974 it appears to have joined forces with Shotley High Quarter under the simpler name of Shotley which was also the name of the main village in the parish.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.