A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Shoby from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Until 1458 Shoby had been an ancient parish. It was then reduced to an extraparochial area until 1858 when it became a civil parish. It had a population of about 50 in the 1920s. (Source:GENUKI) In 1936 Shoby was absorbed into the parish of Grimston.
The parish was part of Melton Mowbray Rural District from 1894 until 1935 when the rural district was abolished and replaced by the Melton and Belvoir Rural District which covered a larger area. A year after the introduction of the new rural district its parishes were reorganized and reduced in number from 68 to 25.
In 1974 a new nationwide organization of local government was introduced in which rural and urban districts were replaced by "non-metropolitan" districts. In the northeast of Leicestershire this meant little save for the fact that the principal town of Melton Mowbray, formerly a separate urban district, was now governed by the same body (Melton District or Borough) as the rural area that surrounded it.