Shire-Green has been, since 1974, in the northern part of Sheffield Metropolitan Area, in South Yorkshire, England. Prior to 1974 it was within the West Riding of Yorkshire. It formed part of the large civil parish of Ecclesfield.
The settlement originated in the Middle Ages around the farmstead later known as Crowder House, first known from a deed of 1402. The building survived largely intact into the nineteenth century, but was later demolished and replaced by Shiregreen Methodist Church. Other cottages were built around the farm, known as the Bell Houses and the Hadfield Houses, housing farm workers and a fork-making industry. Both sets of houses gave their name to roads in the suburb.
More information about the area in the 19th century can be found in the transcription from Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72 reproduced under Ecclesfield.