Place:Shipton, Gloucestershire, England

Watchers
NameShipton
Alt namesScipetunesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 114
Sciptunesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 114
Shipton-Oliffesource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeParish
Coordinates51.867°N 1.95°W
Located inGloucestershire, England
See alsoBradley (hundred), Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish was located
Northleach Rural, Gloucestershire, Englandrural district in which it was situated 1894-1974
Cotswold (district), Gloucestershire, Englandadministrative district in which it is now located
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Shipton is made up of the twin villages of Shipton-Oliffe and Shipton-Sollars, situated just 7 miles (11 km) from Cheltenham. The River Coln, just a tiny stream at this point, flows through the village over two fords and innumerable little water splashes, creating ornamental lakes in private properties.

The name Shipton, meaning "sheep farmstead", indicates that sheep farming occurred here long before the Norman invasion of 1066. The Domesday Book refers to two manors, Oliffe and Solers, each with its own church. In 1776, they were ecclesiastically united as one parish. The merger of the civil parishes occurred in 1871.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Shipton-Sollars from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"SHIPTON-SOLLARS, a parish in Northleach district, Gloucester; 6½ miles ESE of Cheltenham [railway] station. Post town: Andoversford, under Cheltenham. Acres: 1,160. Real property: £831. Population: 80. Houses: 18. The manor belongs to W. Peachy, Esq. The living is annexed to Shipton-Oliffe. The church is ancient, but is not used."

http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11267 A Vision of Britain through Time] provides the following description of Shipton-Oliffe from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"SHIPTON-OLIFFE, a parish, with a village, in Northleach district, Gloucester; 7 miles ESE of Cheltenham [railway] station. Post town, Andoversford, under Cheltenham. Acres: 1,050. Real property: £1,683. Population: 255. Houses: 56. The manor belongs to G Fletcher, Esq. Limestone is plentiful. The living is a rectory, united with Shipton-Sollars, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £450. Patron, W. Peachy, Esq. The church is Norman and good. There is a free school."

Research Tips

Online sources which may also be helpful:

  • Shipton from A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 9/Bradley hundred] in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online. Descriptions of Shipton Oliffe and Shipton Sollars follow the article on Shipton itself.
  • GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
  • A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
  • The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
  • A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Shipton, Gloucestershire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.