- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Shipton Moyne is a village in Cotswold District of Gloucestershire, England located approximately 105 miles west of London. Its nearest towns are Tetbury (3 miles north), also in Gloucestershire and Malmesbury (3 miles southeast) in Wiltshire.
The name Shipton, recorded in 1086, indicates the early importance of sheep-farming in the parish economy; the affix Moyne, recorded from 1287, was acquired when the manor was owned by the Moyne family.
British History Online provides a detailed account of the history of the village from the eleventh to the twentieth century. For a condensed, but extremely interesting account see Wikipedia.
Tetbury (1837 - 1937)
Cirencester (1937 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- The Victoria History of Gloucestershire chapter on Shipton Moyne, available online on the website British History Online.
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Longtree (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Tetbury Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Cirencester Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Shipton Moyne, Gloucestershire, England