|Alt names||Sceptone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 125|
|Sceptoune||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 125|
|Shipton-Bellinger||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Thorngate Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located until 1834|
|Andover Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1834|
|Andover Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Test Valley District, Hampshire, England|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Shipton Bellinger is a village and civil parish in the Test Valley District of Hampshire.
The parish is about 5 miles (8 km) north-east of the town of Amesbury and 12 miles (19 km) northeast of the city of Salisbury. It is on the A338 road, near its junction with the A303 road. Note that despite the parish being in Hampshire, it is so far to the west of the county that the towns it is measured from are both in Wiltshire.
The village is surrounded by Salisbury Plain which is used by the British Army for in-the-field training. It is close to Tidworth Camp and a number of British Army families live in the village.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4, chapter on Shipton Bellinger.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Shipton Bellinger, Hampshire, England | Thorngate Hundred, Hampshire, England | Andover Hundred, Hampshire, England | Andover Rural, Hampshire, England | Test Valley District, Hampshire, England