Place:Shimpling, Suffolk, England

Alt namesShimplingthornesource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.13°N 0.718°E
Located inSuffolk, England
See alsoBabergh Hundred, Suffolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Shimpling is a village and civil parish in south Suffolk, England. About 7 miles (11 km) from Bury St. Edmunds, it is part of the Babergh District. The village is formed from two halves, the newer Shimpling Street and, about 2 miles (3 km) away, the old village of Shimpling.

Thomas Hallifax, a London banker, and his family were great benefactors of Shimpling and the surrounding area. They arrived in the early 19th century and purchased many Shimpling properties and farms and lived in Chadacre Hall (built in 1835). Over time they built houses, the school, the schoolhouse, the coal house and made extensive renovations to the church.

The Chadacre Hall estate of 2,300 acres, including 22 farms and 54 houses, was finally sold in 1918. The hall later became an agricultural institute which closed in 1989.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Shimpling. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.