- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Shimpling from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "SHIMPLING, a parish, with a scattered village, in Depwade [registration] district, Norfolk; ½ a mile E of Burston [railway] station, and 3½ NE of Diss. Post town: Scole. Acres: 780. Real property: £1,584. Population: 219. Houses: 48. [Shimpling] Place belongs to the Duke of Grafton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £230. Patron: the Rev. J. W. Millard. The church was repaired in 1859. Charities, £13."
In 1935 the parish of Shimpling was abolished and the land and its inhabitants were absorbed by the parish of Burston.
- GENUKI provides a list of references for Shimpling. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
- GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch:
- England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997
- England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812
- England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941
- England, Norfolk Marriage Bonds, 1557-1915
- England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901