|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Oxfordshire, England|
|See also||Great Faringdon, Berkshire, England||manor to which it was attached|
|Bampton Hundred, Oxfordshire, England||hundred in which it was part located|
|Faringdon Hundred, Berkshire, England||hundred in which it was part located|
|Witney Rural, Oxfordshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|West Oxfordshire District, Oxfordshire, England||municipal administration of which it has been part since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Shilton is a village and civil parish about 1 1⁄2 miles (2.4 km) northwest of Carterton, Oxfordshire. The 2011 UK census recorded the parish's population as 626.
Shilton village is on Shill Brook: a stream that rises southwest of Burford, flows though Shilton and Alvescot to Black Bourton, where it becomes Black Bourton Brook, which joins the River Thames downstream from Radcot.
Shilton was historically part of the manor of Great Faringdon, and most of Shilton parish was an exclave of Berkshire until the Counties (Detached Parts) Act 1844 transferred it to Oxfordshire.
Categories: Oxfordshire, England | Shilton, Oxfordshire, England | Great Faringdon, Berkshire, England | Bampton Hundred, Oxfordshire, England | Faringdon Hundred, Berkshire, England | Witney Rural, Oxfordshire, England | West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, England