Shilbottle (ancient name "Shilbotel") is a village in Northumberland in northeast England, located 3 miles south-east of Alnwick, and 5 miles from the coast and Alnmouth. The village stands close to the A1 (Britain's longest road, connecting Edinburgh to London). Shilbottle had a population of 1,834 in the UK census of 2011.
Coal mining began in the district around 1728; by the end of the 18th century six shafts were operating around Blue Lodge Farm (a.k.a. Colliery Farm). In the early 20th century, Shilbottle Colliery was bought for £50 by the English Co-operative Wholesale Society (CWS), a federation of consumer co-operatives, who upgraded the mining site: a new village of 170 houses was built, including some cottages for aged miners. Shilbottle Colliery was the only pit in the area where workers were given a week's holiday with pay, and a pension scheme. The National Coal Board took over after the Second World War; production continued until a decline in the 1970s. The pit closed in 1981, and the workforce transferred to nearby Whittle, Northumberland.
Shilbottle was an ancient parish in the Coquetdale Ward of Northumberland which became a civil parish in the 19th century. From 1894 it was part of Alnwick Rural District. In 1955 it was enlarged by the abolition and absorbtion of the civil parish of Woodhouse. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Shilbottle became part of the Alnwick District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Shilbottle from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Townships in the Parish