|Alt names||Sherfield-English||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Sirefelle||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 125|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Thorngate Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Romsey Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Romsey and Stockbridge Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1932-1974|
|Test Valley District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Sherfield English is a small village and civil parish in the Test Valley District of Hampshire, England. It is located on the A27 road, around 4 miles (6.4 km) west of Romsey.
Sherfield English appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as the manor of "Sirefelle", derived from the Anglo-Saxon scir feld, which probably means "bright open land". The suffix "English" probably comes from the L'Engleys family, who held the manor in the 14th century.
The parish church is dedicated to St Leonard, and the current building dates from 1902 and is Grade II listed.
In 1932 the parish was expanded when Dunwood parish was absorbed into it.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4, chapter on Sherfield English.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Sherfield English, Hampshire, England | Thorngate Hundred, Hampshire, England | Romsey Rural, Hampshire, England | Romsey and Stockbridge Rural, Hampshire, England | Test Valley District, Hampshire, England