|Alt names||Sheephall||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hertfordshire, England ( - 1946)|
|See also||Cashio Hundred, Hertfordshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Hitchin Rural, Hertfordshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1946|
|Stevenage, Hertfordshire, England||urban district in which it was located 1946-1974|
|Stevenage District, Hertfordshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Shephall was a village and parish in Hertfordshire, England. In 1946 its territory was included within the New Town of Stevenage. The modern borough of Stevenage is approximately equivalent to the two ancient parishes of Stevenage and Shephall.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Shephall from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "SHEPHALL, or Sheephall, a parish, with a village, in Hitchin [registration] district, Herts; near the Great Northern railway, 2½ miles SSE of Stevenage. Post town: Stevenage. Acres: 1,142. Real property: £1,671. Population: 243. Houses: 47. [Shephall] Bury is the seat of U. Heathcote, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £306. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient. There are a national school, and charities £26."
Categories: Hertfordshire, England | Shephall, Hertfordshire, England | Cashio Hundred, Hertfordshire, England | Hitchin Rural, Hertfordshire, England | Stevenage, Hertfordshire, England | Stevenage District, Hertfordshire, England