|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Oxfordshire, England (1844 - )|
|Also located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1844)|
|See also||Westminster Hundred, Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which it was part located|
|Tewkesbury Hundred, Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which it was part located|
|Bloxham Hundred, Oxfordshire, England||hundred in which it was located after 1844|
|Banbury Rural, Oxfordshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1970|
|Shenington with Alkerton, Oxfordshire, England||parish into which it was merged in 1970|
|Cherwell District, Oxfordshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Shenington is a village about 5 miles (8 km) west of Banbury. It was an exclave of Gloucestershire until the Counties (Detached Parts) Act 1844 transferred it to Oxfordshire in 1844. Shenington is also on Oxfordshire's boundary with Warwickshire.
Once in Oxfordshire, it was part of Banbury Rural District from 1894. In 1970 the parish merger with that of Alkerton to become Shenington with Alkerton. In 1974 the whole of Banbury Rural District became part of the district municipality named the Cherwell District.
Wikipedia summarizes the ownership of Shennington Manor from 1194 through 1420 when it was owned by a number of people with links to the monarchs of the Plantagenet period.
Research Tips for Oxfordshire
Victoria County History of Oxfordshire, volume 9, chapter on Shenington.
Categories: Oxfordshire, England | Shenington, Oxfordshire, England | Westminster Hundred, Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury Hundred, Gloucestershire, England | Bloxham Hundred, Oxfordshire, England | Gloucestershire, England | Banbury Rural, Oxfordshire, England | Shenington with Alkerton, Gloucestershire, England | Cherwell District, Oxfordshire, England