|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Oxfordshire, England|
|See also||Ploughley Hundred, Oxfordshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Bicester Rural, Oxfordshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Newton Purcell with Shelswell, Oxfordshire, England||parish into which it was absorbed in 1932|
|Ploughley Rural, Oxfordshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1932-1974|
|Cherwell District, Oxfordshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Shelswell is a hamlet in Oxfordshire, England about 4 miles (6.4 km) south of Brackley in neighbouring Northamptonshire. Since 1932 has been located in the civil parish of Newton Purcell with Shelswell.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Shelswell from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "SHELSWELL, a parish in Bicester [registration] district, Oxford; 4 miles SSE of Brackley [railway] station, and 6 N by E of Bicester. Post town: Bicester. Acres: 809. Real property: £586. Population: 44. Houses: 8. [Shelswell Park] is the seat of J. H. S. Harrison, Esq. The living is a [perpetual] curacy, annexed to Newton-Purcell. There is no church."
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Shelswell.
Categories: Oxfordshire, England | Shelswell, Oxfordshire, England | Ploughley Hundred, Oxfordshire, England | Bicester Rural, Oxfordshire, England | Newton Purcell with Shelswell, Oxfordshire, England | Ploughley Rural, Oxfordshire, England | Cherwell District, Oxfordshire, England