Place:Sheldwich, Kent, England

Watchers
NameSheldwich
Alt namesGosmeresource: settlement in parish
North Streetsource: settlement in parish
Sheldwich Leessource: settlement in parish
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.275°N 0.882°E
Located inKent, England
See alsoFaversham Hundred, Kent, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Faversham Rural, Kent, Englandrural district in which it was situated 1894-1935
Swale Rural, Kent, Englandrural district in which it was situated 1935-1974
Swale District, Kent, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Sheldwich is situated 3 miles (4.8 km) south of the market town of Faversham, 10 miles (16 km) north of Ashford and 10 miles west of Canterbury via the M2 motorway and A2 road. It is fragmented into five parts, with North Street a distinct settlement on the A251 road, Sheldwich (including the Church and school) scattered further south on or close to the main road; Sheldwich Lees, a small village in its own right (and where the Village Hall and Green (the Lees) are situated) lying 0.5 miles (0.80 km) southeast of the junction of Lees Court Road and the Ashford Road (A251), and the hamlets of Gosmere and Copton (included in South Preston Without) to the north, the latter being transferred to the Parish in 2012. Other than North Street, Copton and part of Gosmere, the remainder of the parish lies within the Kent Downs, (the eastern part of the North Downs). The population of the parish in the 2011 UK census was 491, a fall of 31 from the 2001 UK census. The village name of Sheldwich is unique within the United Kingdom.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Sheldwich from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"SHELDWICK, a parish, with a village, in Faversham [registration] district, Kent; 2¾ miles S of Faversham [railway] station. It has a post-office, of the name of Sheldwick-Lees, under Faversham. Acres: 1,896. Real property: £3,199. Population: 616. Houses: 119. The manor, with Lees Court, belongs to Lord Sondes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value: £209. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of [omitted]. The church is later English. There are a Wesleyan chapel and national schools."

Sheldwich was originally an ancient parish in the Faversham Hundred. Between 1894 and 1935 it was part of the Faversham Rural District. In 1935 Faversham Rural District was abolished and parishes were transferred to Swale Rural District. At the same time Sheldwich lost acreage to Badlesmere parish and gained more from Faversham Without and South Preston Without. Both of the latter were then abolished as parishes. Since 1974 the area is covered by the non-metropolitan Swale District.

Research Tips

  • Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
  • Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
  • For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
  • Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
  • Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
  • Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
  • England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
  • Kent had five family history societies (now only four):
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Sheldwich. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.