Place:Shawdon, Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameShawdon
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.423°N 1.855°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoWhittingham, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Hedgeley, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Shawdon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"SHAWDON, a township in Whittingham parish, Northumberland; 7 miles W of Alnwick. Acres: 1,056. Population: 96. Houses: 17. [Shawdon] Hall was built in 1788, by the Hargreaves."

Shawdon was a township in the ancient parish of Whittingham and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Alnwick Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Hedgeley.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.