|Name||Shavington cum Gresty|
|Alt names||Shavington-cum-Gresty||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Shavington||source: main settlement in parish|
|Dodds Bank||source: hamlet in parish|
|Goodall's Corner||source: hamlet in parish|
|Park Estate Shavington||source: hamlet in parish|
|Puseydale||source: hamlet in parish|
|Sugar Loaf||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Wybunbury, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a township|
|Nantwich Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Nantwich Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Crewe and Nantwich District, Cheshire, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
|Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England||district municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Shavington cum Gresty is a civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It lies to the south of Crewe. It includes the large village of Shavington, which lies 2½ miles south of Crewe, as well as the smaller settlements of Dodds Bank, Park Estate, Puseydale, Sugar Loaf and part of Goodall's Corner. Nearby villages include Basford, Hough, Willaston, Wistaston and Wybunbury. The total population of the civil parish is a little under 5,000.
The civil parish has a total area of 950 acres (380 ha). The terrain is relatively flat, with an average elevation of around 200 feet. Urban development has taken place at Shavington village, as well as the area immediately south of Crewe and along the B5071. Much of the remainder of the civil parish is rural, with the major land use being agricultural. Swill Brook and other unnamed brooks run through the area, and there are several small meres and ponds.
- GENUKI provides the following information
Shavington cum Gresty was a township in Wybunbury ancient parish in Nantwich Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. The ancient parish church for the township of Shavington cum Gresty was St. Chad's in Wybunbury. From 1926 St. Andrew's in Crewe became the district church for part of the township. There were also Shavington Free Gospel chapel built in 1871, Shavington Wesleyan Methodist chapel built in 1876, Shavington Free Methodist chapel founded in 1835 and closed in 1936, and Shavington Primitive Methodist chapel built in 1869 and closed in 1967. The latter two chapels have some of their registers at Cheshire Record Office.
The population was 189 in 1801, 453 in 1851, 1,149 in 1901 and 1,850 in 1951.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Shavington cum Gresty, Cheshire, England | Wybunbury, Cheshire, England | Nantwich Hundred, Cheshire, England | Nantwich Rural, Cheshire, England | Crewe and Nantwich District, Cheshire, England | Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England