Sharlston is a village and civil parish situated east of Wakefield in West Yorkshire, England, and includes the settlements of Old Sharlston, Sharlston Common and New Sharlston. Its population at the 2001 census was 2,756. The village lies in the City of Wakefield unitary district.
The village of Old Sharlston has existed for over five hundred years, with the oldest known record indicating that Sharlston Old Hall was built in 1574. In the early 18th century, the village was acquired by the Earl of Westmorland.
Until April 1929 Sharlston formed part of the Warmfield parish, but is now managed by its own parish council.
The village of New Sharlston was built after the Stanley Main Pit was closed in 1866. It consists of two rows of houses which were mostly occupied by men who worked at the collieries of the surrounding area. Although always a small village, New Sharlston has witnessed rapid decline since the 1984-85 miners' strike which hit Sharlston and its surrounding villages hard.