- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Shalford is a small village in the English county of Essex. It is about four miles north of Braintree on the B1057 road.
The parish was part of the Braintree Rural District from 1894 until 1974. Since 1974 it has been located in the Braintree District in Essex.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Shalford from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "SHALFORD, a parish, with a village, in Braintree district, Essex; on the river Pant, 4¾ miles N N W of Braintree [railway] station. It has a post-office under Braintree. Acres: 2,455. Real property: £4,880. Population: 760. Houses: 176. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Abbots Hall, belongs to R. Marriott, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £203. Patron: the Prebendary of Shalford in Wells Cathedral. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower."