|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Ham Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Blackbourne Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Chart and Longbridge Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|West Ashford Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1974|
|Ashford District, Kent, England||district municipality to which the parish was transferred in 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Shadoxhurst is a civil parish and a village on the remnant forest of the Kent Weald, near Ashford in Kent, England between the Greensand Ridge and Romney Marsh.
Shadoxhurst is mostly wooded countryside and farmland. with the Whitewater Dyke (a tributary of the River Stour) rising in the area. It is on the Woodchurch to Ashford road, and had a population of 1,216 in the UK census of 2011.
Shadoxhurst was originally an ancient parish in the Ham Hundred, the Blackbourne Hundred, and also the Chart and Longbridge Hundred. Between 1894 and 1974 it was part of the West Ashford Rural District. Since 1974 the area is covered by the non-metropolitan Ashford District.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
- The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
Categories: Kent, England | Shadoxhurst, Kent, England | Ham Hundred, Kent, England | Blackbourne Hundred, Kent, England | Chart and Longbridge Hundred, Kent, England | West Ashford Rural, Kent, England | Ashford District, Kent, England