Place:Seven Oaks, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameSeven Oaks
Alt namesSevenoakssource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.3011°N 2.5283°W
Located inCheshire, England     ( - 1936)
See alsoGreat Budworth, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a township
Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Runcorn Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1936
Antrobus, Cheshire, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1936
source: Family History Library Catalog


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Sevenoaks from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"SEVENOAKS, a township in Great Budworth parish, Cheshire; 4 miles N W by N of Northwich. Acres: 601. Real property: £1,391. Population: 159. Houses: 31. There is a Quakers' chapel."

Sevenoaks became a civil parish in 1866. It was located in Runcorn Registration District and Runcorn Rural District until 1936 when it was absorbed into the neighbouring parish of Antrobus.

There is no article in Wikipedia. Co-ordinates were found with the aid of Google Earth which homed in on Sevenoaks Sawmill near Great Budworth and Budworth Heath. Some references refer to Seven Oaks, possibly differentiating the hamlet from the town in Kent in the south of England.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.