- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Sevenhampton is a village in Gloucestershire, England. The Church is dedicated to St Andrew. The name of the village is believed to be derived from an older name, Sennington, which was still in use into the early modern period.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Sevenhampton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "SEVENHAMPTON, popularly Sennington, a parish, with a village, in Northleach [registration] district, Gloucester; on a head-stream of the river Coln, 5¾ miles E by S of Cheltenham [railway] station. Post-town, Andoversford, under Cheltenham. Acres: 2,600. Real property: £3,145. Population: 543. Houses: 113. The manor belongs to W. L. Lawrence, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £50. Patron: alternately, F. Craven, Esq., and W. Morris, Esq. The church is Norman and good. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school."
Sevenhampton was located in the northwest corner of Northleach Rural District from 1894 until 1935. In 1935 the parish was abolished and the area transferred to the parish of Sudeley.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Sevenhampton from A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 9/Bradley hundred] in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Bradley (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Northleach Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Northleach Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Sevenhampton, Gloucestershire, England | Sudeley, Gloucestershire, England