|Alt names||Settrington||source: from redirect|
|Sendriton||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 308|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||East Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Buckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which the parish was located|
|Norton Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district of which the civil parish was a part 1894-1974|
|Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England||administrative district covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Settrington is a village and civil parish now in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England, about 3 miles (5 km) east of Malton.
Settrington was originally an ancient parish in Buckrose Wapentake in the East Riding of Yorkshire. In 1866 the status of civil parish was introduced and this was taken on by most ancient parishes and also by their subsidiary townships if they were of any size at all. In 1866 both Settrington and its township of Scagglethorpe became civil parishes. In 1894 they each became part of the Norton Rural District of the East Riding.
In 1974 rural districts were abolished and the border between the East Riding of Yorkshire and the North Riding of Yorkshire was realigned. The North Riding changed its name to North Yorkshire.
Since 1974 Settrington has been in North Yorkshire, specifically within the Ryedale District.
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Sir Francis Bigod of Settrington launched Bigod's Rebellion against King Henry VIII in January 1537.
Settrington was served by Settrington railway station on the Malton and Driffield Railway between 1853 and 1950.
- GENUKI on Settrington.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Settrington.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Settrington provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps of the East Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- For a discussion of where to find Archive Offices in Yorkshire, see GENUKI.
- Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.
Categories: East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Settrington, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Buckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Norton Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England