Place:Sellindge, Kent, England

Watchers
NameSellindge
Alt namesSedlingessource: Domesday Book (1985) p 149
Sellingesource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.107°N 0.99°E
Located inKent, England
See alsoStowting Hundred, Kent, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Street Hundred, Kent, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, Englandfurther ancient county division in which it was located
Elham Rural, Kent, Englandrural district in which it was situated 1894-1974
Shepway District, Kent, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
Contained Places
Unknown
Hodyford Manor
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Sellindge (occasionally Sellinge) is a civil parish and village on the main A20 road between Ashford and Folkestone in Kent, England. Since 1974 Sellindge has been located in the non-metropolitan Shepway District.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Sellindge from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"SELLINGE, a village and a parish in Elham [registration] district of Kent. The village stands adjacent to the Southeastern railway, ¾ of a mile E of Smeeth [railway] station, and 5 N W by W of Hythe; is a scattered place; and has a post-office under Hythe. The parish includes a detached portion, isolated by Dymchurch; and comprises 2,055 acres. Real property: £3,843. Population: 580. Houses: 125. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value: £177. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is old but good, and has a low Norman tower. There are a national school, and charities £73."

Sellindge was originally an ancient parish in Romney Marsh Liberty and also in the Stowting Hundred and the Street Hundred. Between 1894 and 1974 it was part of the Elham Rural District.

Research Tips

  • Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
  • Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
  • For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
  • Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
  • Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
  • Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
  • England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
  • Kent had five family history societies (now only four):
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Sellindge. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.