- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Seghill is a small village located since 1974 on the Northumberland side of the county border between Northumberland and Tyne and Wear. Seghill is situated between the villages of Seaton Delaval and Annitsford, about 8 miles (13 km) north of central Newcastle upon Tyne.
Seghill used to be a busy pit village within the Northumberland Coalfield, however, its coal mine has been closed for many years. (This could mean the 1980s or earlier.) It had a population of 2,927 in the UK census of 2001.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Seghill from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "SEGHILL, or Sedgehill, a village and a township in Earsdon parish, and a chapelry partly also in St. Andrew parish, Northumberland. The village stands near the Blythe and Tyne railway, 6½ miles N N E of Newcastle; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Cramlington, Northumberland. The township comprises 1,403 acres. Population: 1,801. Houses: 350. The manor belonged anciently to Tynemouth priory; went to the Mitfords, who built a castle here; and passed, through the Allgoods and others, to the Blakes.
- "The chapelry includes also part of Seaton-Delaval and Cramlington townships, and was constituted in 1846. Population: 4,588. Houses: 920. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £300. Patron: alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1848. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a Church school."
Seghill was a township in the ancient parish of Earsdon (near North Shields) and became a separate civil parish in 1866. It was an urban district from 1894 until 1935. In 1935 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Seaton Valley.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.