Place:Hirst, Northumberland, England

Alt namesHurstsource: alternate spelling
Seaton Hirstsource: alternate name
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.176°N 1.549°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1914)
See alsoWoodhorn, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Morpeth Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1896
Ashington, Northumberland, Englandurban district of which it was part 1896-1914
Ashington, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1914
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hirst from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HURST, a township in Woodhorn parish, Northumberland; 5½ miles ENE of Morpeth. Acres: 395. Population: 41. Houses: 7."

Hirst was a township in the ancient parish of Woodhorn. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1896 it was part of Morpeth Rural District. In 1896 it became part of the urban district of Ashington. In 1900 and 1909 its area was increased when it absorbed tranches of North Seaton and the parish became known as Seaton Hirst. In 1914 it was absorbed into the civil parish of Ashington.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.