- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides this description for Sculcoates from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72
- "SCULCOATES, a parish and a district, in E. R. Yorkshire. The parish lies wholly within Hull borough; contains a large portion of Hull town; is cut into two sub-districts, East and West; and has been considerably noticed in our article on Hull. Acres, 1,010. Real property, £85,979; of which £800 are in gas-works. Pop[ulation] in 1851: 22,325; in 1861: 27,167. Houses: 5,842. The land was held, at Domesday, by Ralph de Mortimer; went afterwards to a priory founded on it; had scarcely 100 inhabitants so late as about 1770; and began to be a populous suburb of Hull immediately after the construction of the Hull docks. The district comprehends also the sub-districts of Drypool, Hedon, Hessle, Ferriby, Cottingham, and Sutton; and comprises 45,084 acres. Poor-rates in 1863: £15,383. Pop[ulation of the sub-districts] in 1851: 44,719; in 1861: 51,956. Houses: 11,182. Marriages in 1863: 620; births: 2,149, of which 129 were illegitimate; deaths 1,467, of which 752 were at ages under 5 years, and 23 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60: 5,397; births: 17,002; deaths: 10,763."
The sub-districts listed surround Kingston upon Hull. Sculcoates could be considered as the environs or suburbs of Hull in the 19th century. It was never established as a town and in 1894 many of the sub-districts became civil parishes within an area named Sculcoates Rural District, while others were absorbed into Sculcoates itself which became an Urban District from 1894 until 1935.
In 1935 Sculcoates Urban District was absorbed into Kingston upon Hull County Borough, while the Rural District became, for the most part, Haltemprice Urban District.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, as above. More material on Sculcoates can be found by following "Units and Statistics" in the left-hand column. Other maps are available by clicking on the map provided above the parish description.
- GENUKI provides a description of Sculcoates from the 1820s.
Help fund new features!