Scotland Road was created in the 1770s as a turnpike road to Preston via Walton and Burscough. It became part of a stagecoach route to Scotland, hence its name. It was partly widened in 1803 and streets of working class housing laid out either side as Liverpool expanded. Many were demolished as slums in the 1930s, to be replaced with corporation flats. In Victorian times the area had over 200 public houses, mostly now closed.
Scotland Road was the centre of working class life for the people of the surrounding areas of Everton, Vauxhall and Islington. Home to most of Liverpool's migrant communities, Scotland Road was almost "a city within a city". Scotland Road had four main migrant communities; Irish, Welsh, Scottish and Italian—-not to mention the native Lancastarian community and pockets of German and Polish. Scotland Road was a cultural melting pot. It was a place close to both the back end of the city centre and the docks. It could be a place of both romantic nostalgia and brutal hardship. Community was at the centre of Scotland Road and one's faith often dictated which community one belonged to.