During the colonial period of 1640-1750, this area was occupied by a mixed group of Native Americans — Mohicans, who were local, and remnants of numerous New England tribes who had migrated west away from European encroachment and warfare.
In the colonial era, Native Americans at Schaghticoke included a mixed group of Mohicans, and members of several tribes from New England who had migrated away from Anglo-European settlement, including the Abenaki, Cahoo, Pennacook, Wampanoag, Narraganset, Sokoki, Nipmuc and others. Their societies had been disrupted due to a high rate of fatalities from new infectious diseases, to which they had no immunity.
This mixed group, which was at times 1000 men strong, were the dominant Native Americans of the area from circa 1640 -1750. While they paid tribute to the Iroquois to the west, they controlled their own territory here. By 1750, the majority of the land had been sold to European settlers. When the last of the Schaghticoke group moved north to escape European encroachment, the Iroquois laid claim to what was left. In 1769 settlers paid 5000 pieces of Spanish Gold for the area of the Kaydeross Patent.
The European Americans named the village "Harts Falls." It was incorporated under that name in 1867. It was reincorporated under the name of "Schaghticoke" in 1881.