- source: Family History Library Catalog
Scawton Moor is located between Byland and Rievaulx Abbeys.
John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-1872) described Scawton like this:
- "SCAWTON, a parish in Helmsley district, [North Riding of] Yorkshire; 4 miles N of Coxwold [railway] station, and 4½ W of Helmsley. Post-town: Helmsley, under York. Acres: 2768. Real property: £1,275. Population: 148. Houses: 31. The manor belongs to Sir W. Worsley, Bart. Limestone is quarried and calcined. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value: £145. Patron: Sir W. Worsley, Bart. The church is good; and there is a national school." (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Scawton was part of Helmsley Rural District. Historically, it was located in the ecclesiastical parish of Helmsley in the Rydale Wapentake.