Scalby, a village 3 miles north of Scarborough in North Yorkshire, England, is part of the civil parish of Newby and Scalby within Scarborough district. From 1902 to 1974, Scalby was an urban district in the former North Riding of Yorkshire. It was also an ecclesiastical parish in the wapentake of Pickering Lythe.
Scalby is separated from Scarborough's suburbs by the Scalby Beck, which flows to the North Sea at Scalby Mills. Scalby is a nuclear village which is bisected by the A171 Scarborough to Whitby road. The older part of the village is west of the main crossroads and is focussed around a small but busy High Street where there is Scalby Methodist Chapel and the Church Rooms.
In modern times, as an artificial flood relief channel, much of the flow of the River Derwent (which drains a large area of the North York Moors into the Vale of Pickering) has been diverted, (about 6 miles (10 km) upstream of upstream of West Ayton and before it reaches the plain of the Vale of Pickering), into a new channel called the Sea Cut which runs east along a previously dry side valley (probably a glacial overflow channel) and into the existing Scalby Beck.
The parish church of Scalby is St Laurence's. The church is the oldest recorded building in the village. Records show its presentation in 1150 by Eustace Fitz John. The chancel arch and pillars are of that time and the first recorded priest, inducted in 1238, was Henry Devon.