Sayreville is a borough located on the Raritan River, near Raritan Bay in Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough's population was 42,704, reflecting an increase of 2,327 (+5.8%) from the 40,377 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 5,391 (+15.4%) from the 34,986 counted in the 1990 Census.
Sayreville was originally incorporated as a township on April 6, 1876, from portions of South Amboy Township. On April 2, 1919, the borough was reincorporated as the Borough of Sayreville based on the results of a referendum held on April 29, 1919.
Native Americans were the first settlers of Sayreville. Tribes of the Navesink lived along the South River where Jernee Mill Road is located today. This was noted on a 1656 New Jersey map by A. Vanderdonck, a Dutch surveyor and map maker. During the 20th century, amateur archaeologists found thousands of Indian artifacts at the location shown on the map.
Predating the incorporation of Sayreville in 1703, the Morgan Inn - later known as the Old Spye Inn - was established in what is now the Morgan section of Sayreville. The inn was located on a hill overlooking the Raritan Bay. The original owners, the Morgans were said to be related to the famous pirate, Captain Henry Morgan, who is said to have visited the Inn on more than one occasion.
It was during the Revolutionary War that the Morgan Inn gained its new name, the Old Spye Inn, according to local legends. A local British loyalist Abe Mussey was captured by American troops while signaling to British Ships on the Raritan Bay in 1777. He was tried as a spy at the Inn, convicted in one-day trial and sentenced to death by hanging. Mussey's execution was carried out using a tree near the Inn's entrance. Mussey was reported to be buried behind the inn in an unmarked grave. The Inn was destroyed by fire in the late 20th century, but its ruins remain on the National Register of Historic Places.
Originally known as Roundabout (for the river bends in the area) and then as Wood's Landing, it was renamed in the 1870s for James R. Sayre, Jr. of Newark, co-owner of Sayre & Fisher Brick Company, one of the many companies that took advantage of the extensive clay deposits supported the brick industry from the early 19th century until 1970. From its inception, Sayre and Fisher Brick Company quickly grew into one of the top brick making companies in Middlesex County. Brick production grew from 54,000,000 bricks annually in 1878, to 178,000,000 bricks in 1913. Company representatives in 1950 had estimated that a more than six billion bricks had been produced since the founding of the company.
In 1898, DuPont began production of gunpowder at its plant on Washington Road. The company later built additional facilities in Sayreville for the production of paint and photo products.
At one time the Raritan River Railroad passed through Sayreville and had several spurs to service Sayre & Fisher and other local industries, with a train running on the line featured in a 1914 episode titled "The Juggernaut" of the silent movie serial The Perils of Pauline. The episode was staged on the line, including the construction of a bridge over Ducks Nest Pond in Sayreville. The pond is located in the back of Bailey Park, which is found on South Minisink. The pond is available for fishing but may no longer used for swimming. Sayreville residents can use the park, by permit, for picnics and camping. The park is located near the DuPont and Hercules factories.