Place:Saxby, Leicestershire, England

Alt namesSaxebisource: Domesday Book (1985) p 162
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates52.783°N 0.783°W
Located inLeicestershire, England
See alsoFramland Hundred, Leicestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish was included
Melton Mowbray Rural, Leicestershire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1936
Freeby, Leicestershire, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1936
Melton District, Leicestershire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Saxby from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"SAXBY, a parish, with a village, in Melton-Mowbray [registration] district, Leicester; on the river Eye and the Syston and Peterborough railway, 4½ miles E by N of Melton-Mowbray. It has a station on the railway; and its post town is Melton-Mowbray. Acres: 1,430. Real property: £2,363. Population: 117. Houses: 23. The manor belongs to the Countess of Harborough. Ancient weapons, earthen urns, bridle bits, fibulæ, and other relics have been found. The living is a rectory, united with Stapleford, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value: £168. Patron: the Countess of Harborough. The church was rebuilt in 1789, and has a spire."

Saxby was absorbed into the neighbouring parish of Freeby in 1936.

Local Administration

The parish was part of Melton Mowbray Rural District from 1894 until 1935 when the rural district was abolished and replaced by the Melton and Belvoir Rural District which covered a larger area. A year after the introduction of the new rural district its parishes were reorganized and reduced in number from 68 to 25.

In 1974 a new nationwide organization of local government was introduced in which rural and urban districts were replaced by "non-metropolitan" districts. In the northeast of Leicestershire this meant little save for the fact that the principal town of Melton Mowbray, formerly a separate urban district, was now governed by the same body (Melton District or Borough) as the rural area that surrounded it.

Research Tips

Maps on the place-pages for Belvoir Rural District and Melton and Belvoir Rural District illustrate the location of the various parishes and the geographical and administrative changes that occurred in 1936.