Place:Sawley (near Clitheroe), West Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameSawley (near Clitheroe)
Alt namesSawley
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates53.914°N 2.341°W
Located inWest Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Lancashire, England     (1974 - )
See alsoBowland Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Ribble Valley (borough), Lancashire, Englanddistrict municipality in which it has been situated since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


NOTE: There is another place named Sawley which is near Ripon and now in North Yorkshire.

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Sawley is a village and civil parish which, since 1974, has been in the Borough of Ribble Valley in Lancashire, England. It is situated north-east of Clitheroe, on the River Ribble. Sawley now shares a parish council with two other parishes: Bolton-by-Bowland and Gisburn Forest.

Sawley Abbey, a ruined abbey of Cistercian monks, is in the village. The abbey was founded in 1147 and dissolved in 1536. Historically, Sawley fell under the Earl of Northumberland's Percy fee rather than being part of the powerful neighbouring Lordship of Bowland. There is more on Sawley Abbey in GENUKI

Historically, Sawley was an extraparochial division of the Staincliffe Wapentake. From 1894 until 1974, Sawley was located in Bowland Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Ribble Valley District of Lancashire.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Sawley, Lancashire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.