Sawley is a village and civil parish which, since 1974, has been in the Borough of Ribble Valley in Lancashire, England. It is situated north-east of Clitheroe, on the River Ribble. Sawley now shares a parish council with two other parishes: Bolton-by-Bowland and Gisburn Forest.
Sawley Abbey, a ruined abbey of Cistercian monks, is in the village. The abbey was founded in 1147 and dissolved in 1536. Historically, Sawley fell under the Earl of Northumberland's Percy fee rather than being part of the powerful neighbouring Lordship of Bowland. There is more on Sawley Abbey in GENUKI
Historically, Sawley was an extraparochial division of the Staincliffe Wapentake. From 1894 until 1974, Sawley was located in Bowland Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Ribble Valley District of Lancashire.