Place:Fretherne-with-Saul, Gloucestershire, England

Watchers
NameFretherne-with-Saul
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.78°N 2.37°W
Located inGloucestershire, England     (1884 - )
See alsoWhitstone (hundred), Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which the component parts were located
Stroud (district), Gloucestershire, Englanddistrict municipality of which it has been part since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Fretherne-with-Saul has been, since 1974, a civil parish in the Stroud District of Gloucestershire, England. It includes the villages of Framilode, Fretherne, Saul and Upper Framilode.

Watercourses form a significant portion of the parish boundaries: on two sides is the River Severn, which forms the boundary with the parishes of Westbury-on-Severn to the north and Awre to the south-west, both being in the Forest of Dean District; and the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal forms the boundary with the parish of Whitminster to the east, and the major portion of the boundary with the parish of Frampton-on-Severn to the south-east. The land boundaries are with the parishes of Arlingham to the west and north-west; Frampton-on-Severn to the south; and Longney and Epney to the north-east.

The parish is crossed by the River Frome, which flows into the Severn at Upper Framilode. The only major road in the parish is the B4071, which connects Saul to the A38.

Fretherne-with-Saul was a civil parish created in 1884 out of the former civil parishes of Fretherne and Saul whose descriptions follow and which are redirected here.

Contents

Fretherne

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Fretherne from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"FRETHERNE, a parish in Wheatenhurst [registration] district, Gloucester; on the Berkeley ship canal, and on the river Severn, 3¼ miles ESE of Newnham [railway] station, and 7½ WNW of Stroud. Post town, Whitminster, under Stone-house. Acres: 930; of which 365 are water. Population: 237. Houses: 53. The manor was known to the Saxons as Fethanieag. Fretherne Lodge belonged to the Cliffords, and passed to the Whiteleys. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £282. Patron: Sir W. L. Darell, Bart. The church is modern; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £95."

Saul

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Fretherne from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"SAUL, a parish, with a village, in Wheatenhurst [registration] district, Gloucester; near the river Severn, 4 miles N W of Stonehouse [railway] station. It has a post-office under Stone-house. Acres: 564. Real property: £2,166; of which £431 are in the Gloucester and Berkeley and the Thames and Severn canals. Population: 607. Houses: 144. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £125. Patron: the Bishop of [Gloucester and Bristol]. The church is old, and was repaired and enlarged about 1850. The rectory of Framilode is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, a British school, and charities £5."

Registration Districts

Wheatenhurst for Fretherne (1837 - 1884)
Wheatenhurst for Saul (1837 - 1884)
Wheatenhurst for Fertherne-with-Saul (1884 - 1937)
Gloucester Rural for Fertherne-with-Saul (1937 - 1974)
Gloucester (post-1974) for Fertherne-with-Saul (1974 - 2006)
Gloucestershire for Fertherne-with-Saul (2006 - )

Research Tips

Online sources which may also be helpful:

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Fretherne with Saul. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
Fundraiser
Help fund new features!