|Alt names||Saughall Massey|
|Located in||Cheshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Merseyside, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Wirral Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1933|
|Wirral Urban, Cheshire, England||urban district into which it was part absorbed in 1933|
|Wallasey, Cheshire, England||municipal borough into which part of it was absorbed in 1933|
|Wirral (metropolitan borough), Merseyside, England||metropolitan borough of which it has been a part since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Saughall Massie was a township in Bidston ancient parish, in the Wirral hundred of Cheshire, England. It became a civil parish in 1866. It included the hamlet of Carr Houses and part of the hamlet of Three Lanes End. The population was 98 in 1801, 176 in 1851, and 186 in 1901.
It was part of the Wirral Rural District from 1894 until 1933. In 1933 Wirral Rural District and Saughall Massie itself was abolished. The parish was divided between Wallasey County Borough and Grange civil parish in the newly established Wirral Urban District. Both Wallasey and Grange received over 400 acres, but Wallasey received a much greater part of the population.
In the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974 the entire Wirral Peninsula, with the exception of the municipal borough of Ellesmere Port and urban district of Neston at the southern end, became the Metropolitan Borough of the Wirral in the new administrative county of Merseyside.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Saughall Massie.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Wirral Rural, Cheshire, England | Wirral Urban, Cheshire, England | Wallasey, Cheshire, England | Wirral (metropolitan borough), Merseyside, England | Merseyside, England