Place:Sandhoe, Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameSandhoe
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates54.991°N 2.058°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoLee St. John, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Sandhoe is a hamlet in Northumberland, England. It lies about 3 kilometres (2 mi) northwest of Corbridge and 3 kilometres south of Hadrian's Wall.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Sandhoe from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"SANDHOE, a township in St. John-Lee parish, Northumberland; 4 miles E N E of Hexham. Acres: 1,648. Population: 266. Houses: 44. [Sandhoe] House, a fine modern mansion, is the seat of R. Errington, Esq.; and Beaufront, a conspicuous castellated mansion, on the site of an old residence of the Carnabys, is the seat of W. Cuthbert, Esq."

Sandhoe was originally a township in the ancient parish of Lee St. John. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, and continues to hold that status.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Sandhoe. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.