San Elizario is a city in El Paso County, Texas, United States. The population was 13,603 at the 2010 census. It is part of the El Paso Metropolitan Statistical Area. It lies on the Rio Grande, which forms the border between the United States and Mexico. The city of Socorro adjoins it on the west and the town of Clint lies to the north.
San Elizario was established sometime before 1760 as the civilian settlement of Hacienda de los Tiburcios, where in 1789, the Spaniards established a fort called Presidio de San Elizario. The town that grew up around it took the name San Elizario, which is a corruption of San Elceario (Spanish for Saint Elzear); Saint Elzéar of Sabran is the Roman Catholic patron saint of soldiers. On November 5, 2013, San Elizario residents voted to incorporate the town, having successfully fought off an attempt by Socorro to annex a portion of it, and San Elizario was officially incorporated when El Paso County Judge Veronica Escobar signed an order of incorporation on November 18, 2013. It will elect a mayor and city council in May or June 2014.