The Salubria Valley first came to notice in 1862 when Tim Goodale came through searching for an alternate to the Oregon Trail. In 1868 John Cuddy was working to build his sawmill/flour mill on Rush Creek. Settlers started to arrive but it wasn't until 1885 that a store was built in the middle of the valley and that location was soon known as Salubria. It became a busy town with the usual businesses. Talk of the railroad was often on the minds of the residents. Prosperity was associated with a means of getting their products to market. The railroad did arrive in 1899 but because of greed from landowners at Salubria and the enterprising business men across the river the railroad bipassed Salubria and the town of Cambridge was born. The newspaper states "Salubria lifted her skirts and crossed the river". This virtually happened as today there is hardly a landmark. The burned press from the newspaper was planted at the corner by Mart's Saloon to keep folks from cutting the corner and hitting his building in 1891. Today it remains at the crossroad of the former town. Most of the buildings are gone and those that remain have been altered.
The Cambridge Museum has a research library with a vertical file and obituary collection. Available for $ is a book that is a reprint of the Saga of Salubria by Mickey Akins and Washington County History by Judge Harris. Added to this material are pictures and illustrations (over 150). We encourage anyone who has ever lived in the area to submit history and pictures. Research of our material is by donation.