Place:Church Hulme, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameChurch Hulme
Alt namesChurch-Hulmesource: Family History Library Catalog
Saltersfordsource: hamlet in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.204°N 2.353°W
Located inCheshire, England     ( - 1974)
See alsoSandbach, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a township until 1866
Northwich Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred of which it was a part
Holmes Chapel, Cheshire, Englandname of civil parish since 1974
Cheshire East District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


GENUKI provides the following details:

Church Hulme was a township and chapelry in Sandbach ancient parish, Northwich Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. Includes the village of Holmes Chapel and part of the hamlet of Saltersford. The population was 314 in 1801, 555 in 1851, 866 in 1901, and 1460 in 1901.

The civil parish was renamed Holmes Chapel in 1976.

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Holmes Chapel is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority area of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. Until 1974 the parish was known as Church Hulme. Holmes Chapel is about 8 miles (13 km) north of Crewe and 21 miles (34 km) south of central Manchester.

At the 2001 Census the population of the village was recorded as 5,669.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Holmes Chapel. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.